Monday, April 1, 2019

Beowulf

Beowulf is an ancient piece of literature that follows the journey of a man named Beowulf, and his many feuds throughout his history. Beowulf is a man with many dudes with his motive behind each and every one being revenge. As I discussed in my journal entry, I always felt that feuds were with people closer to the heart and personal life of the other person involved. Beowulf took to feuds with Grendel based on his own personal beliefs for revenge. One of Beowulf's main reasons for his battle with Grendel was the countless lives that Grendel took as a warrior. "He is delighted when he sees several Geats sleeping in the hall. Beowulf lies awake, watching, as Grendel kills and eats one of the warriors. Then he reaches for his second kill, Beowulf. The Geat champion grabs hold of Grendel's claw with the strength of 30 men and won't let go. Grendel cannot escape, and a vicious match ensues, ending when Beowulf rips Grendel's arm from its shoulder socket." (Anonymous) This gave reason for Beowulf to continue his feud with Grendel.


Grendel was a more tactful warrior, and more rugged when it came to his feuds and kills. Grendel was held to a higher respect than Beofwulf as a warrior, and this could have been the reason for the feud between the two of them. When Grendel was slain by the hands of Beowulf is was said that, "it took for to carry his head." (Anonymous) Beowulf was seen as tactful and had motives for every part of his feud, where Grendel was more respectfed because of how he approached his feuds s a true warrior in their publics eyes.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Danielle,
    I enjoyed reading your analysis of Beowulf and I do believe we had very similar journal entries as usual. I analyzed feuding withing Beowulf just like you did; viewing the feud between Beowulf and Grendel from their own point of views. Beowulf was motivated by revenge, but I believe his motives were justified as Grendel was killing people for twelve years. Feuding in general is common throughout everyone's lives, but Beowulf felt that "it was better to avenge a friend than mourn too deeply."
    -Mike

    ReplyDelete