Monday, April 22, 2019

Journey to the West - Redemption

Journey to the West is another story deep in the topic of redemption. Ask I spoke about in my journey entry, I believe that redemption is known as a sacrifice made by one individual such as in my case of the beliefs I was raised with was Jesus sacrificing himself so that those who choose to follow him can  live a peaceful eternal life. Journey to the West, is a book filled with journals and folktales that follows different disciples throughout their journies.

Throughout the chapters we read in Journey to the West, we see many examples of redemption within a character, the Monkey.  The Monkey is seen in several different situations throughout the texts seeking redemption. One of the most memorable parts of how the Monkey seeks redemption, is when Monkey begged on his knees for foregiveness. "When I wrecked the Heavenly Palace," he said, "I put myself in a very dangerous position, and the Buddha crashed me under the Double Boundary Mountain.” (Wu Ch’eng-en, Journey to the West)


Another source of redemption for the Monkey is when he feels guilt and remorse for murdering a young woman for food. He finds himself feeling remorse and asking for forgivesness, “I never will," said Monkey, "never again." He helped his master mount the horse and led the way forward.” (Wu Ch’eng-en, Journey to the West) He promised to never do such a thing again in an act of remorse and the need for redemption. “A team of horses cannot overtake a word that has left the mouth.”  (Wu Ch'eng-en, Journey to the West)

The chapters read throughout this story have shown. Character asking for redemption and forgiveness more than once, much like how we as Christians or religious followers find ourselves constantly falling short of what our religious leaders we follow are. Much like the character we follow throughout his journies we find ourselves giving into temptations that are forbidden by our religions, yet asking for forgiveness in order to still be accepted by the higher power when all is said and done.






3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Danielle,
    While I didn't create a blog post, I agree with a lot of what you're saying. While reading this story I felt something very familiar about the whole thing. It turns out, "Dragon Ball Z" is based off of the "Journey to the West". Dragon Ball Z is a TV show that loosely follows the legend of the "Monkey King" found within "The Journey to the West". In my journal entry, I wrote about Tiger Woods and his recent story of redemption. Tiger Woods won a major league golf tournament after hitting his rock bottom a few years earlier. While many people didn't like what Tiger Woods did in the past, his story of redemption represented the opportunity a person might have at a comeback. I like how you used the quote from the text about how the Monkey King begged on his knees for forgiveness, inferring a story of redemption.
    -Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, redemption is a key theme in "Journey" when you consider that all of Sanzang's "body guards" and fellow pilgrims are mostly reformed criminals who are given a second chance by protecting Sanzang on this dangerous mission. Monkey, Pigsy and Sandy are all unsavory characters who have committed crimes and broken laws, yet they are the very ones that Guanyin tells Sanzang to seek out for his disciples. This would make sense to the Chinese since Guanyin is the female embodiment of compassion--a kind of female Buddha who seeks out the poor and destitute to lend aid. See the following link for a slide on Guanyin:
    https://middlesexcc.instructure.com/courses/12001/files/764472?module_item_id=337095

    ReplyDelete